Last year, Hans G0UPL rushed me a QMX at my request so that I could operate during an impromptu trip to Vietnam. As it turned out, it was impossible to get permission to operate and I've felt guilty ever since at having taken advantage of Hans' willingness to expedite the QMX.
But as of today the QMX has finally gone on a bit of a DXpedition.
I am currently near Theth Albania and have just returned from activating the unpronounceable-by-me Alpet e Shqipërisë National Park with the QMX.
The entire operation was on 20m CW. I was surrounded by mountains but was able to easily work a good number of Europeans and one US station (K2UPD) in New York.
The QMX performed well.
I hope to activate the same park from another (better) location tomorrow.
News from Alexey RT7O:
Alexey sent me an email to inform me that he also recorded our QSO. He was using "a homebrew QRPp 700 mW transmitter—built with two rod tubes—to mark the "First Earth Satellite" activity event (organized by Club 72 and running from October 4 to 10)".
Alexey's recording of our QSO.
Here are some photos of Alexey's FB rig (and be sure to check out his very interesting QRZ.com page):
.
.
.


Great John, I saw you spotted but was on my work. Hopefully a better chance to work you tomorrow. Will keep te radio on and listen out for you. 73, Bas
ReplyDeleteYes, I was on a bit early. Looking forward to tomorrow...
Delete73,
John
I really want to check out the Radio Bar someday! My friend Don has been there, too, and visited Radio Tirana.
ReplyDeleteN2UDP is a big-time POTA hunter in Europe. I worked him numerous times in the UK. Also VO1AW in Newfoundland.
That QMX will serve you well. May ask for your Albania notes because I do plan to spend time there myself within the next few years--likely while visiting N Macedonia and other parts of the Balkans.
Happy travels!
Cheers & 72,
Thomas
K4SWL
Hi Thomas,
DeleteI made a video of the Radio Bar and will post it in a few days. I also visited the old studio site of the shortwave service in Tirana (but not the transmitter site as I was hoping to do). And another place that may be of interest to hams. I'll try to get that uploaded soon.
73,
John