Wednesday, October 9, 2024

"What are you doing there?!"

As one of my favorite musicians once said, "The way-ay-ting is the hardest part".

I woke up this morning with a short list of things to do: (1) bring the grill into the garage and (2) take down the flagpole antenna. Took all of 15 minutes.

Everything else that can be done, has been done...so, to stave off an overdose of the Weather Channel, I drove 15 minutes away to activate a park and make sure my go-kit is in order.

A light, misty rain was falling - more fog than rain - and not a single leaf was stirring. Zero wind. Zero lightning.

I activated US-6455 on both CW and SSB with a couple of phone ops asking me WTH I'm doing playing radio.

Simple answer: at the time of the activation, 35 mph winds are still 7 hours away. Landfall for Milton is 14 hours away. And I'm almost an hour inland.

That's the context and that's why it's perfectly sane to play pre-hurricane radio and confirm the proper operation of  my station, now home and tuned to 14.325 (attic EFHW).

  • FT-891
  • 12AH Bioenno LiFePO4 battery
  • MFJ-1979 telescoping whip (used today on 15/17/20 meters)
  • 61 contacts

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment