Thursday, August 27, 2026

QDX-M assists in the rescue of a spelunker

The low-frequency capability of Hans G0UPL's QDX-M proved its worth in Alberta last week.

Rescuers attempting to retrieve a cave explorer made use of a QDX-M built for the 2200 meter band (136 kHz) which, evidently, will allow communications through solid rock.

The rescue was successful and can be read about here:

Calgary Herald

CBC

According to Hans:

"There is a request to make the QDX-M firmware operational down to 88 kHz which is where the UK and European cave rescue services have an allocation. I will try to get that done in the next week or two.
  
Me, I slept well that night... Well for 3 hours at least, after I worked on fixing the YOTA youngster's QMX+'s until 4am..."
 I'd like to know what type antenna was used for the operation.
.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment