Wednesday, September 4, 2024

QMX+ repaired by W1NC


Jeff W1NC has brought my ailing QMX+ to life. Jeff is the go-to guy for any QRP Labs kit that doesn't perform properly and he's got a 100% success rate.

Since retiring a couple of years ago, I no longer have an oscope or anything else for signal tracing. And, ironically, I have less free time with too many irons in the fire - in short, it was easier to send the rig to Jeff and make use of his experience and expertise with these kits than to poke around blindly, hoping to find the problem and then having replacement parts available.

My particular QMX+ needed an IC and a cap replaced. I couldn't have replaced an IC, even with unlimited time. Jeff is equipped to replace any component on the kit including pre-installed surface-mount devices.

In addition, Jeff gave the circuit boards an alcohol scrub, removing all the tiny bits of flux left after kit construction, then adjusted the LP filter coil spacing for good RF out on all bands.

He then measured the MDS and harmonic output on all bands and sent me the results.

I now have excellent receive and transmit on all bands 6-160m, CW and digital. Turn around time was about 9 days with a few other rigs in front of mine.

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment