Saturday, March 9, 2024

mcHF clone, right out of the box

My original - genuine! - mcHF has gone to that great playground in the sky, where all radios emanate honest 599 signals on all bands. After so many years of performance-enhancing (and corrective) surgery, the poor radio was ready to be put to pasture.

To replace it, I ordered one of the many clones and received it yesterday.

I will need to do a full alignment on the radio - the displayed frequency differs from the actual, the upper sideband differs greatly from the lower on CW in terms of where zero beat occurs and the bar graph (RF Out and SWR) is way off on transmit (though the receive S-meter seems to work well).

All of these things are correctable and detailed alignment procedures are available online.

But, right out of the box, I'm easily making CW QSO's on all bands. Quality control of these clones is a long-standing concern. Connect Systems used to sell them to US buyers but will no longer do so due to numerous problems with many of them. In fact, they now have 7 problematic mcHF clones for sale.

So I wondered how mine might fare, straight outta da box. So far, so good:


I will do the alignment upon my return from Texas in a week or two. I cut Daytona Bike Week short - not my scene at all - so I'll be leaving for (and returning from) TX sooner than planned, as the UHSDR alignment and RadioKit-20 construction await.

.

.

4 comments:

  1. Well it sure does LOOK nice! And like you said, you’re making contacts on it. Hope the alignment goes well and I look forward to hearing more about it.

    73, Tom, M7MCQ.
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom - hopefully, this will become my motorcycling rig. Far cheaper than a KX2 yet covers the same bands (10-80m), all modes and 10 watts. If I damage it, it won't break the bank.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. John, congrats! I prefer the genuine one but this looks good. The ATU add-on is good option for it and recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Petr - good to hear from you. I prefer the genuine too but I don't think they'll ever be available again. Chris M0NKA was reported to have been working on an updated model, but that was two years ago with no further word. My original (genuine) mcHF did have the ATU but even those are no longer available due to what is going on in Ukraine.

      73,
      John

      Delete