Tuesday, November 21, 2023

DXing: KX2 masquerading as a KH1

A cheap 51" (130cm) telescoping CB walkie-talkie antenna and conditions on 10-15 meters gave me the idea to treat my KX2 like a KH1.

Tuesday mornings can offer slow POTA activity but I was pleased with the results anyway from a peaceful little park about half an hour from home.

The weather was perfect and this project served as the perfect excuse to be outside.

In the following video, I made 10 contacts in 20 minutes. Those 10 contacts included 7 DXCC entities - all with a short whip antenna and a single ground radial.

When the bands are hot, amazing things are possible. Earlier this week I was able to work 4W8X on 10m CW from home with the KX2.

This weekend I'll be building a short coil to supplement the CB whip's internal coil with the idea of using the whip on 17/20 meters.

Various online calculators say I'll need 30 turns on a 1-inch form.


YouTube

.


 

.

.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, John.

    I really like the idea of using a base-loaded CB whip on the KX2 for 10m!

    Where did you get the adapter you have that allows you to plug your key into the KXPD2 socket?

    73,
    Eric, WD8RIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Eric,

      The whip makes for a fast and effective set-up on both 10 and 12 meters. I'm planning to play more with it during CQWW this weekend.

      The adapter is from ProAudio:
      https://proaudioeng.com/kx-keyport/

      73,
      John

      Delete
    2. Thanks, John!
      73,
      Eric

      Delete
  2. Makes PERFECT sense John! The KX2 is supremely small and lends itself to handheld ops in my opinion.

    Look forward to more.

    73, Tom, M7MCQ
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete