Saturday, April 29, 2023

sBitx (v2) received


My sBitx (v2) arrived yesterday and I've been tinkering with it this afternoon. It is bigger and heavier than I'd anticipated with quite a solid feel.

We are under a Tornado Watch at the moment so the antenna is disconnected - but that's ok as it gives me the opportunity to go through the radio and learn the commands for this and that.

The first order of business was to connect the radio's RPi with my home network and update the firmware. And we're all awaiting another firmware update that will correct an initial problem with the drive power on lower bands. This error caused a few folks to blow their finals due to the radio outputting 80 watts (it is a 40W rig).

The fw update went smoothly and is done by typing a few commands into the terminal window. Total time taken - about 15 seconds.

Injecting signals into the sBitx with my tinySA ULTRA (in sig-gen mode) shows that the radio receives well - at least down to -123 dBm - my limit without external attenuation (I'll get to that later), and that the BW filters work as expected.

In the box with the sBitx was a mic, power cord with XT-60 connector and an audio plug. And a 40 page manual with color photos! I wasn't expecting that.

The radio draws 600mA on receive.

More later...

.

.

8 comments:

  1. I received mine last Thursday, two days after shipping from India via DHL. S/N 22. I've played around with it but refrained from transmitting much until the issue is fixed. I made a couple of short SSB contacts on 20M, one with the internal mic, and one with the hand mic with the drive set to 30. No idea how much it was putting out.

    I've played with remote operation, first on my shack laptop, then my smartphone, and ultimately just for kicks on the living room 75" smart TV (kind of overkill, but fun nevertheless).

    I'm thinking this might take the place of my go-to setup for camping, which usually involves a milk crate full of stuff - KX2, KXPA100, Power supply, laptop, lots of interconnecting cables, etc.

    I'm intrigued by the idea of running FT8 self-contained, including logging.

    73,
    -- Dave, N8SBE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Dave. Yep, I've kept my drive down around 30 and made a few contacts on FT8. It works well but doesn't send a final '73' at the end and sends 'RRR' instead of 'RR73' at other times. It'll all get figured out...

      I like that there is no configuration to setting all that up - even with a few flaws, it's quite ingenious of Farhan to be able to design all the digital functionality into a radio. And I like being able to open a tab on my browser and operate the radio, again, with no real configuration necessary.

      That 75" TV + sBitx is going to spoil other rigs for you! Let's see Roku, Amazon & Netflix top that!

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. Congrats for your SBITX V2 beast. I also in stby now waiting for stable build fixing the major issues like finals overdriving and iambic keying T/R switching issues. Even with that (stock build version) I worked about 30QSOs and I was amazed with receiver and filtering. It sounds smooth and hot receiver. I did not measured with sig gen but first station I heard here from central EU was VU2TMP and worked him quite easily. Then I worked another VU followed by ZL and few US even from TX, hi.
    https://youtu.be/VOxpnNZH3Kc
    It could be really nice beast when some major issues will be fixed. In overall I am satisfied at present...
    73 - Petr, OK1RP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Petr. I am distracted by another rig at the moment but following along with updates on the sBitx Group every day. It is a unique radio for sure. No DX with mine yet but eventually...

      73,
      John

      Delete
  3. Hi John,

    Any more feedback on this rig? Been checking back regularly to see what you have to say about it.

    73,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim - well, I bought the radio with a lot of intentions...but they haven't come to pass. I guess this comment can serve as the For Sale ad for the rig.

      It would have been a fun radio in my prior life, with big antennas, etc. But since our move, my ham radio scope has taken a new direction and the sBitx just isn't compatible. I made a few initial contacts with it (FT8) and then put it away, focusing on the FX-4CR, POTA, etc.

      My main focus now is on putting together a quick-to-air POTA station that I can take motorcycling - clearly not the sBitx's forte. So it sits, waiting for a new owner. $400, shipping (to US) included...anyone?

      73,
      John

      Delete
    2. John,

      I've sent you a DM on FB about my interest in purchasing. You can either contact me there or via my email which is correct on QRZ.

      73,
      Tim KW4TIM

      Delete
    3. The same here with sBitx John...:) Been sold as I realized that my focus and priorities are different. See you on the air soon. Petr

      Delete