Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Today, 4 Feb: Atsena Otie Key

UPDATE:
 
Cancelled due to high winds. Boats not going out.
 
The trip kept getting delayed 30 minutes at a time, then cancelled altogether.
 
Another time...


Atsena Otie Key is an unpopulated island-ghost town about half a mile (1 km) off the coast of NW Florida.

More to the point of this posting, it is also the main island for K-0234 and KFF-0234 and has never been activated for WWFF; and only two activations (38 QSO's) for POTA.

After obsessing about how to get all my gear over to the island key in a kayak, I found Captain Bob with a small skiff.

Captain Bob will take me over for $15, drop me off, and pick me up 4-1/2 hours later, hopefully before scurvy sets in.

.

.

6 comments:

  1. I doubt it’ll happen (from my home QTH), but I’ll do my best to make a contact.

    Good luck to you.

    73, Tom, M7MCQ.
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom - don't tell the W & VE ops, but I always listen just a bit more attentively for DX stations!

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. At least as rare as Bouvet. Only most will not realize it. Hope getting on land is not as difficult compared to landing on Bouvet. If time allows I will chase you. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bas. I hope to survive - the island is reported to be surrounded by friendly dolphins.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  3. Sorry that it didn't work out, John. I kept watching the POTA spots for you yesterday, and when you never showed up I figured that something had gone awry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I had high hopes...Thanks for listening, I appreciate it. Attempt 2 will be in March!

      73,
      John

      Delete