Thursday, July 25, 2024

SuperFox: Is it "all that"?

Several FT8 users on the WSJT group have reported difficulty in decoding K8R on American Samoa when the DXpedition was operating in the SuperFox mode, despite the fact that propagation favored that area for those stations.

I was able to copy 5W1SA (Samoa) with -11 to -15 levels on regular FT8 multiple times on a number of bands during the last half of K8R's operation but never once decoded K8R on SuperFox, even at times when they were on the same band, at the same time, as 5W1SA.

Prior to the N5J DXpedition to Jarvis Island (where SuperFox will be the dominant mode) starting 5 August, a "SuperFox test session" is likely to be held. One was scheduled for two days ago but had to be cancelled.

Hopefully, a reschedule is in the works.

.

.

3 comments:

  1. I am really puzzled, running a g5rv, 40 watts from FN 21 and have worked them on 17 and 20 without a hint of a problem. My gut feeling is that propagation is what is causing most of the difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right, and you probably are - it just mystified me that I was able to copy (decode) 5W1SA and not K8R.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. Just got him agn, Icom 705 small amp 20 watts. Contact QSO just prior to that was VK6DW, my longest contact ever. Propagation……

    ReplyDelete