An ongoing question on various online forums is "What is a good antenna for airline travel?"
Compact, inexpensive, easy to set up and effective - these are non-negotiable requirements for me:
17-foot (5m) whip - offers a full 1/4-wavelength on any band, 10-20 meters. Collapses down to 19 inches (48cm). It has a 10mm thread so an adapter will be needed for the mount listed below. MFJ (sk) and other sources offer a similar whip (shown in photo) with a 3/8x24 thread but this version collapses only to 25 inches. I'd rather have the shorter whip even though it requires an adapter.
10mm to 3/8x24 adapter - buy two because they're easy to lose ;-)
Hustler MBM - This is a magnetic mount for the combo above and it includes 16 feet of RG-58 terminated in a PL-259 connector. When it's convenient, I like to use radials with a vertical antenna, even though the car (to which it's attached) offers an "okay" RF ground. To accommodate radials at the base of the antenna, I've drilled a hole through the mount and attached a bolt with a wingnut. Two radials attach to this point.Radials - I recommend using a suitable length of ribbon cable, split into two 5-conductor sections. The main (huge!) advantage of ribbon cable is that, due to its width compared to single-conductor radials, it is highly tangle-resistant.
All of the above fits easily into my suitcase, which itself is small. From Iceland, I easily worked 4 continents with this antenna mounted to the roof of my rental car. And that's with 10 watts. From various POTA activations around the US, I never seem to have a problem working European callers.
Best of all, no trees or other supports are needed and the total cost is less than $150.
.
.


Great write up of brevity. Love the ribbon cable idea, I'll use that for sure. I'm a bit nervous about the magnetic force of the MBM... unintended consequences of having that in my carry on. Have you taken any special precautions or techniques when packing it? Does TSA care?
ReplyDeleteI don't think TSA cares. I do pack it in the middle of the suitcase, surrounded by clothes on top and bottom.
Delete73,
John