Sunday, September 1, 2024

New amp from Mercury (KM3KM)

Three years ago I built a Mercury IIIs solid state amplifier and was impressed with everything about it, from the components, build instructions and operation.

I've been in the market lately for an amp specifically for use with my Hermes Lite 2 and had been considering one of these Chinese 150-watt amps...but today's informal announcement/leak has me excited about this latest product from Kenny KM3KM.

The Mercury Lite will be a 600w solid state amp with a selectable level of input attenuation, enabling it to provide its full output with 5-10 watts in or from a 40w input. And it has received FCC Acceptance.

Some particulars:
  • Internal Automatic Tuner for 3.5 Mhz – 54 Mhz (Ham Bands)
  • RF Auto Band Decoding
  • 5-inch Color Touch Screen
  • 2 x MRF300 LDMOS
  • 600 Watts all Modes
  • Input Power 5-40 Watts FWD/REF/SWR Meter
  • Supply Voltage / DI Current Meter All Protections
  • W 7 x L 11.5 x H 4.5 Inch / Weight 14 Pounds FCC Approved

I believe this will be a great match for the Hermes Lite 2 and similar rigs. I remain super-impressed with my HL2 - the more I use it, the more I like it. To be able to use it as a 100-600 watt radio will be icing on the cake.

The Mercury Lite manual is available here (925k pdf).

As I think about a possible power supply for this amp, I think a battery makes the most sense rather than another big clunky thing that plugs into the wall - pure DC, no heat or noise generated and totally immune to power line surges or outages.

And allows portability of the amp for activating that rare grid.

A 48V 20AH LiFePO4 costs about $200 on Amazon. Should last a good long time on CW and SSB (not so much with digital modes).

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment