Friday, February 14, 2020

February lowband DXing & VP8PJ

Feb 80m log
Only halfway through the month, February has already put more CW band fills in my logbook than the past 6 months combined, thanks to the efforts of HU1DL (160m), TI9A (160m), 5I5TT (80m), 5H4WZ and E44CC (80m).

I've given up on any possibility of working 9N7AM and am turning my attention to VP8PJ, due to depart Punta Arenas (Sandy Point) Argentina on Saturday (2/15) afternoon. Along the way they'll be operating maritime mobile with the callsign ZL1NA/MM.

The Braveheart can be tracked here and here (via a Garmin Spot) while en route to South Orkney and news from the team can be followed via their own Group.io here.

The last DXpedition to emit RF from South Orkney was VP8ORK in 2011. I managed to contact them on 17, 30 and 40 meter CW, so I'm hoping for VP8PJ on 80m CW. They'll also be operating FT8 on the 60-meter band - it's good to see more and more DXpeditions starting to activate that band from exotic locations.
.
.


2 comments:

  1. Hi John, it is absolutely a DXCC to look forward to. I hope I'll work them on 60m. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you, Bas - that's a long haul from EU!
      73 - John

      Delete