Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Can you copy VE3KCL? 225,000km and counting...



North American hams/SWLers are now in the "window of possible copy" regarding the amazing balloon launched 66 days ago by David VE3KCL.

If all goes well the balloon will complete its 5th circumnavigation of the planet within the next two days. As I write (30 April, 2130Z) the balloon is a few hundred miles west of California and heading east at 52 knots. It only transmits during daylight hours and has about 6 more hours of daylight today.

It is transmitting on 30m WSPR with a power of 10 milliwatts. Today and tomorrow should present opportunities for copy in NA. It is already being copied by W6/W7 WSPR receiving stations.

I currently have my RSPDuo, 100-foot high dipole and WSJT-X listening for it and will leave the setup running overnight, or at least until sunset at the balloon's current location, which will be about 0300Z.
.

UPDATE:

.
.

4 comments:

  1. I see you're hearing it regularly. Man... it moves slowly. I haven't got it yet. Jim W1PID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's headed your way at about 60 kts. NOAA models show its probably going to fly right over NH:
      http://www.qrp-labs.com/images/ultimate3builder/ve3kcl/u3b25/day67/noaa.png

      73 - John

      Delete
  2. I fired up WSPR at 4:30 am this morning, but the balloon didn't transmit
    until 9:00 am. It was over Virginia and I received it. Thanks
    for the tip John. 73 Jim W1PID

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty neat! I see it's still at 11,000m and about to head back out over the Atlantic. Neither the battery voltage nor the altitude has degraded at all since it started and I'm starting to wonder if it may still be up there circling the globe another month or so?!

    73 - John

    ReplyDelete