Thursday, April 11, 2024

Comparing prices of two 20AH LiFePO4 batteries: $60 vs. $265

A higher capacity battery was on my mind when I saw a posting on a POTA forum by Will K4BDA. Will noted the huge price difference between a 20AH Bioenno and a 20AH Nermak. With one being over 4 times the price of the other, I decided to give the Nermak a shot. 

For a bit over a year now, I've had a Bioenno and a Nermak battery - both are 12AH - and have used them at least weekly for POTA activity and as my in-shack 12V power supply.

Both continue to provide near their rated power - a bit less for the Nermak (11.5AH) and a bit more for the Bioenno (12.5AH). Good enough to give me faith in the Nermak brand, so I ordered the 20AH version.

The 20AH Nermak arrived the day after placing the order and I put it through 5 charge/discharge cycles, charging it at a 2-amp rate and then discharging at a variety of discharge rates programmed into my battery analyzer.

Two of those discharge rates are shown on the graph below. As can be seen, the $60 battery delivers the goods: 

Click for larger

.

.

3 comments:

  1. But how good is the BMS? LIFEPO is safer than Li-Ion, but that price point scares me about the quality of the BMS protection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd bet money that it is almost identical to that in most/all other LiFePO4 batteries, regardless of brand.

      Delete
  2. Since reading your review, I purchased a 12.8V 5Ah Nermak battery for portable use. It works as advertised - quite few cycles so far. The form factor is the same as a 5Ah gel cell but when you pick it up, the weight difference is significant. It is so light it has become my backpacking battery. 5Ah has never been so light.

    73 Dave kx3dx

    ReplyDelete