Monday, March 18, 2024

Long-awaited QMX arrives

Ordered 7 months ago, my pre-built QRP Labs QMX arrived today.

There is a much shorter waiting time for those who order the kit version of this rig.

It's a 20-80m version and I will be putting it through its paces on CW over the next few days and will eventually configure it for FT8.

I was happy to see that a test sheet was included, indicating the results of various parameters obtained before it was shipped to me. 

The QMX is almost identical in size to the (tr)uSDX and they cover the same 5 bands. However, I believe the similarities will end there with the QMX having drastically better performance in every way. 

There is a thread currently running on the QRP Labs group regarding the thump at the end of each CW character. As is mentioned in the thread, it is more pronounced on the lower bands and is quite significant on 80 meters. Hans is prioritizing a firmware fix for this.


.


 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

5 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    I received mine last week, also ordered in August and also built by Han's team. Mine has similar specs.

    There is an issue with key clicks. It was the first thing I noticed when I put in on a dummy load. See groups.io for details. Han's is aware of this and will address the problem in an upcoming firmware update.

    There are a lot of new features not found on the QCX. Works fine on FT8. It's a very nice, very promising little rig.

    Hope to work you QMX2QMX and P2P this Spring.

    73,
    Paul VA3ZC/VE3GFY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, I've just made a new posting with a video of the CW issue...I wonder if you have the same results as me: Bad on 80m, not bad at all on 40m? I'm glad Hans is working on it but, honestly, it really won't affect how I operate - mostly POTA ops on 20, 30 and 40m.

      Yep, works very well on FT8 - I tinkered with that (and FT4 & WSPR) last night on 20 meters.

      QMX2QMX sounds good to me - see you this spring!

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the QMX. I have built two, one still works. They have been through 17 firmware updates and still have multiple issues. The groups.io are filled with QMX posts. I will be very interested in your opinions. Still, I have made multiple QSO's with the QMX, so it does work, just not very well in my opinion. And be sure to regulate your power supply closely. Don't ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad - I just finished my 1st POTA activation with the QMX, all CW on 20m. I'll withhold comment for now as I need to verify a few things and see if there are menu options that need tending on my part, based on how I operate. But 5 bands and two modes for $95 - it beats the heck out of the (tr)uSDX...that much I know already.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  3. Hi John,
    I saw your post about 5 minutes after I left my comment. Doh!

    For me (in Practice mode) the problem is most prevalent on 20m. 80m, 40m and 30m are better and 60m has the least amount of thump. I would describe it as a low pitched knocking.

    As Hans has stated, the firmware is Beta. Issues such as these are to be expected. He'll get it sorted. In the meantime it's snowing outside, so POTA will need to wait for a bit.

    73,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete