Tuesday, March 26, 2024

CQ magazine and Roadrunner magazine - differing methods of media distribution

With CQ Magazine now having given up the ghost, I find myself wondering if (or how) it might be possible for an individual or entity to pick up the where CQ left off. The magazine contained many excellent articles and topical columns that I'll miss.

A unique way of distributing a magazine, in a way I have not seen elsewhere, comes from Roadrunner magazine.

Roadrunner is a magazine about motorcycle touring. It is available in print, and even on newsstands (Barne & Noble), but it is also available electronically - with a twist.

Whereas most magazines are sent out monthly, in print and/or electronically, Roadrunner's e-subscribers get their magazine delivered one article at a time. The author's submitted article goes through the full editing and formatting process that it would if it were going to eventually be published (and it will be published, for print subscribers).

But, rather than the magazine waiting for a month - collecting the entire month's-worth of articles, columns and editorials to be published in a given issue - Roadrunner then sends them via email to each e-subscriber.

So over the course of a month, I get 8 or 12 emails containing individual articles that constitute that month's contents.

As such, I've begun to look at Roadrunner, not so much as a magazine, but as a curated blog with the BS filtered out, edited to be grammatically correct and visually appealing. Some of the articles (and links within them) are available online and free to anyone; others are paid-for only, strictly for paying subscribers.

I'm not claiming that this method would have saved CQ or that it is even viable for media distribution - just another method that might be considered.

.

.

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Frankly, I think I'd read more articles if they came to me one at a time instead of in a monthly mag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that I don't have to save an entire magazine just for the sake of one article that I want to keep.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. As both a motorcyclist and ham, I rather like the curated feed approach. I subscribe to a variety of magazines, both physical and online, videos, podcasts and email newsgroups.

    Truth be told, the curated online material (of all forms) gets most attention; by way of example the near daily QRPer.com "installments" are eagerly awaited. Similarly, the weekly podcasts from Adventure Rider Radio. What is common between these is slick and entertaining production, making consumption a pleasure. To do this at high tempo and regular drumbeat, must prove an even greater challenge, than a periodical - hats off to the creators!

    73 Richard MM0RGM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Adv Rider Radio, and a few ham-related podcasts, but just can't get into them - they all put me to sleep! Reading allows me to take the info at my pace rather than that of the podcaster's. Different strokes for different folks...there is some good stuff out there in all formats. But less so now that CQ is gone.

      73 and ride safe,
      John

      Delete
  3. Looks fab John - I'll take a butchers later.

    73, Tom, M7MCQ
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete