Tuesday, July 11, 2023

WSPR balloon beacon on the way

Actually, two of them are on the way, from Harry SM7PNV of Zacktech.

Harry's WSPR-TX Pico is a 5.4 gram dual-band WSPR transmitter built onto a circuit board whose shape is designed to place a pair of solar panels at a 45-degree angle to the horizon.

20m, 30m (or both) can be selected with a 20mW output.

I was close to doing my first balloon launch a little over a year ago when we decided to retire and move - that interrupted all the balloon plans, so I'm now picking up where that left off.

Florida may offer a better launch site than Texas as I don't have to worry about the balloon coming down too quickly on someone's property...I'll launch from the coast and the balloon will almost immediately be out over the Atlantic.

We are heading to EU ourselves in August so the launch won't occur until late September at the earliest. In the meantime, I'll be experimenting with the transmitters and solar panels terrestrially, and sourcing helium/hydrogen.

.

.

4 comments:

  1. Hello John, interesting design. I wonder what kind of antenna is used. And how do you protect the electronics against moisture? 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas - I'll use a vertical dipole with the transmitter at the center and will probably just set the beacon to transmit on 20m. I don't know about the moisture but am hoping the humidity is so low (at high altitudes) that it won't be an issue.

      73,
      John

      Delete
  2. I'll look forward to hearing about your exploits. My buddy KD2EAT has been doing this for about 5 years or more. Uses hydrogen for HAB up and down shots, but helium for the 'floaters'. I think he was about the 7th or 8th ham to get one to circumnavigate. Now that better envelopes are available some folks get multiple loops around the earth. He was doing it with stock mylar party balloons. A lot of them disappeared. We used to tease him about the balloon being draped over the wing of a Reaper drone in Afghanistan. He designed and built and programmed his own transmitter boards powered by solar with a supercap. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing that circumnavigations have taken place - and that we can monitor their progress. My own expectations are fairly low and I'll be happy if I can launch one that will cross the Atlantic.

      73,
      John

      Delete