Friday, August 11, 2017

North Korea develops ham station capable of reaching US

Dear Leader makes inaugural transmission of new P5 station
North Korea tested a radio transmitter Friday that appears to have the range to reach major US cities, experts say.

After years of research and experimentation, it appears that North Korea is on the verge of being able to reach North America with high frequency radio signals, sometimes referred to as RF.

A combination of US, South Korean and Japanese analyses of the transmission from Mupyong-ni, near North Korea's border with China, shows that the RF went about 1000 miles. If the RF were of a slightly lower frequency, it would have major US cities such as Los Angeles, Denver and Chicago well within its range, with the possible ability to reach as far as New York and Boston.

"As far as Chicago" is the phrase being used by analysts to describe the amazing coverage that is
Contester P5YL
claimed possible by the Kim Jung Un regime with the new P5 station. This puts DXers in much of the US within the footprint of Pyongyang's capabilities.

Previous tests of NK's desire to radiate RF were of mixed results with the signal often petering out in the Sea of Japan. Because of this, much skepticism exists of NK's latest bluster. Responding to widespread doubt, Kim Jung Un assured foreign news agencies that their new radio station will, at the very least, be able to work hams who live on the island of Guam.

So how long might it take North Korea to clear the remaining hurdles to obtain an HF transmitter with the United States in range? The best guess right now is months, not years.
.
.

13 comments:

  1. I long time reader of your ham page John - it hurt my feeling John that you mock me with this posting. We trying to deverop ham station here John and use your blog as guidance. Why must you taunt me thus? I know everything about you John. I hope you like kim-chee and rice - nothing else for you too soon eat in our gulag. Our weather here nothing like Houston John. You going to hate it if you mock me further John. Be nice man so you continue eat bbq in texas, not kim-chee in DPRK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the news lady calling CQ Contest last weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ria, I heard her as well but was unable to make a QSO. I did find a rare photo of her and have posted it. I see she uses a Heil mic.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if I can get a QSL card or confirmation on LoTW?

      Delete
  3. >> I wonder if I can get a QSL card or confirmation on LoTW? <<

    NO, you have to visit P5 and pick up the card
    73 Chris DL5NAM
    (... have P5 in SSB confirmed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >have P5 in SSB confirmed

      Danke, my German friend, danke for attempting to work P5. Unfortunatley Chris, I have bad news for you Chris. We positioned the P5 DXpedition on a bend in river that actuarry in South Korea but we give him P5 callsign Chris. You essentiarry worked a pirate station, Chris! No good, not valid - go tear up card now Chris - it no good, my German friend.

      But have possible solution: Oktoberfest coming soon Chris. Big cerebration in DPRK. You send me lederhosen and I make sure you have P5 confirmed on every band and mode Chris. Send me lederhosen Chris and don't forget to tear up that P5 card on your wall.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Buongiorno Henry - yes, we have heard of these digital modes Henry. They some kind of magic or what? Henry, Italian cars very fast and exotic. I had Maserati - it did 185...I lost license, now I don't drive. But life been good to me.

      So far...

      Delete
  5. Hehehe - nice parody of the recent events there, including (some) of the comments, John.

    73, W1DGL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please Mr. W1DGL - do not encourage him. His blog all over place as is: DXing, QRP, kits, etc - he have no focus. Probably personal life same-same - he redneck living under bridge but come here to internet and masquarade as Mr. Bigtime Blogman like something speciar.

    I predict his next posting going to be about some upcoming year-long radio event. Hope he leave me alone and remember his place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, when they develop a detector capable of actually RECEIVING RF signals, they will truly be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I need my P5RS7 card validated Anyway you can help. It was when your good buddy Romeo was there, or SOMEWHERE

    ReplyDelete