This $350 rig and a small laptop could provide that functionality with minimal current draw (heat generation) compared to the Big Rig and desktop computer, not to mention being available for actual QSO's and portable operation at a moment's notice. Have I talked myself into it yet...!
- Lowest price relative to features available, and competitive offerings
- Assembled & tested
- Very small size (100x100x30 mm)
- Light weight (430-g)
- Modest power consumption (~120-ma on receive)
- USB interface for CAT control (TS-440 protocol)
- 5-9 watt power output
- .5 micro-volt receiver sensitivity (not *great*, but acceptable relative to the price)
- 80-db of AGC dynamic range
- Simple uncluttered functional ergonomics
And a video:
.More details on the QRPver website, including a manual and schematic.
UPDATE: I was all set to order one and pay via PayPal - until a surcharge (a big one!) kicked in for using that method of payment. This is not a shipping charge as I had not yet added my address or even country to which shipping would be required.
A bit of research shows that this is an unscrupulous (and illegal) practice engaged in by some vendors. It is against PayPal's Terms of Service to add these charges.