Thursday, March 16, 2017

A kit in search of a vendor: W8TEE and K2ZIA Antenna Analyzer

Prototype
An upcoming issue of QST will feature an article describing an antenna analyzer designed by W8TEE and K2ZIA.

The $10 circuit board for the kit is already available for sale by QRPGuys here. Additional required parts are estimated to cost about $55.
This Arduino-based analyzer has a color TFT display that presents antenna data either textually or graphically and can save the data to an SD card and present it as an overlay to compare with another trace after an antenna adjustment is made.

The analyzer covers 1.0 to 30.0 MHz and is pre-configured for the ham bands.

Other unique features would seem to make this an ideal kit to be offered by a club since QRPGuys
TFT screen
has no interest in this other than offering the circuit board. The $55 of parts could probably be obtained much less expensively when bought in larger quantities.

Complete build instructions are downloadable here (4MB pdf) and an operation manual is here (2MB pdf).
.
.

8 comments:

  1. Great find. I have a bunch of those AD9850 modules in my junk drawer, and I'd thought about doing this exact same thing with an Arduino. Looks like these guys saved me the trouble. I bought a couple of their circuit boards, and hope to have some fun with this. It's a great time to be a tinkerer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something new just around the corner in this hobby. I hope you'll post the results of your tinkering to your upcoming(?) blog.

      Delete
    2. Did you build this yet? I am almost done, but the project box that W8TEE and K2ZIA used is pretty big. Did you find a more compact one that works?

      Delete
  2. I'm having issues where the analyzer works in my dummy load but always gets an swr of 5.00 at frequency -31172000 on a real 10m dipole. Anyone successfully built one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem on a 80m and 40m dipole. I' am not sure about the software.

      Delete
    2. I tested a known 20m vertical and it had a very high SWR reading even though I know it tests to a 1.2 SWR on another analyzer. However, it did show SWR readings on 80m.

      Did anyone get a fix for this issue yet?

      Delete
  3. I will let you know if I can ever get the program to compile. I cant get Jack to respond to my request for the source code in a text file. The only way that I can find to get the source is off the darned build document, but it doesn't copy over correctly, and I believe I end up with a lot of hidden formatting code keeping this from copying. Did you have a text file that you might be able to send me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A copy/paste from the Word document into VIM worked fine for me, I'm running Windows 10. I had no formatting issues and it compiled fine once I got the additional libraries in the right folder.

    ReplyDelete