today's announcement by Elecraft of the updated delivery schedule of the K4.
My main reason was that I couldn't get an answer to a question regarding dual VFO presentation and control via the external monitor. This is important to me as it would effect how I would operate split. Other questions were answered; this one was repeatedly unanswered.
With no manual online - and no expected date for one - I cancelled the order with the idea of saving the $4k until full info on the rig is made available. To my surprise, one of the issues promised in the email sent out by Elecraft addresses the very issue I was asking about.
A comment emailed to me a few weeks ago noted the fact that pre-buyers of a product are not buyers - they are investers. They, for the time being, are buying only hope. Hope that the product meets their expectations in terms of performance and availability.
I may re-visit the K4 further down the road, after user reports are out, after YouTube videos start to appear and after the kit version is available. And once a final price has been ascertained. In the meantime, a person's Fanboy Status may be discerned from reactions to the delay.
But for now, I need a rig suitable for a different purpose - as an RV travel rig. That radio is currently on its way to me - UPS tracking shows it'll be in my hands tomorrow. I'll offer a 1-word hint as to which radio it is - Bas.