Friday, July 28, 2017

FT-891 ordered - and no taxation without modulation!

After much deliberation I ordered a Yaesu FT-891 today. Two of them.

My first order was with an out-of-state vendor that "has a presence" here in Texas (and 4 other states). My $629 radio would cost me $669. Shipping was free. Order cancelled.



I looked around at the offerings from other out-of-state vendors who also offered free shipping and selected the same radio at the same price. The price for the FT-891 to be delivered to my door $629 total. Ordered.



I really like both vendors and have done a good amount of business with them before. But through no fault of their own, the first vendor (a top notch outfit in every respect) requires more out of my pocket in order to do business with them. And that extra $40 doesn't even go to them. Pay an extra $40 to Uncle Sam for the privilege of doing business with Vendor 1 - I don't think so.

The concept of customer loyalty is alive and well with me and I am happy to pay a bit more for a product from someone with whom I've done business and who has treated me well - but there is a limit and, as mentioned, Vendor #1 wasn't even the recipient of my additional potential expense.

The FT-891 will be here in a week or so. Tax free.
.
.

8 comments:

  1. I imagine vendor #1 is collecting the tax on behalf of your State. I also imagine your State has a law that requires you to remit the taxes on any good purchased out of state at income tax time.

    Tim N9PUZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that were the case, wouldn't Vendor #2 also be required to collect tax on the purchase. And TX has no state income tax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texas has a 6.25% Sales & Use tax. The Use tax is levied on out of state purchases you bring into the state. So, to be legal, you must pay the 6.25% Use tax on the radio.

    https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/

    https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/use-tax.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. No state taxes in TX? (Retirement bookmark - and my Dallas Cowboys are there, already bookmarked). 73, kk4zuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan too now that Romo is gone. Looking forward to what Dak P. can do this coming season :-)

      Delete
    2. Seven states currently don't have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Residents of New Hampshire and Tennessee are also spared though they do pay tax on dividends and income from investments.

      There are four states with no sales tax: Delaware, Montana, Oregon, and New Hampshire.

      Delete