Monday, June 5, 2017

Kit arrives: Preparing for 630 meters

For several weeks now I've been exploring what's available to allow me to be active on 630 meters once that allocation is granted here in the US.

And, although I don't yet have an antenna for that band, I am able to receive several of the experimental stations currently operating as WSPR beacons on 474 kHz using my Flex 6300 and (gasp!) triband Yagi (my 30-80m dipole is down for the summer thunderstorm season).

I have two methods of generating a lo-level signal - either with my Flex's transverter output or with a second Ultimate 3S that is not yet built. Each of these options produces less than a watt of output - far too QRP given that any antenna I eventually build will reduce the ERP back to QRP levels even with substantial power out of the transmitter.

But I have an idea to re-purpose an older 80m transmitter and that is the reason for the kit described here.

Shown below is the 630m Transmit Downconverter from MF Solutions. To call it a downconverter tells only half the story since it is also a non-linear amplifier as well, boosting a <1 watt 80m input to a 20-watt 630m output.



The kit arrived today, well-packed and with all parts plainly labeled. A 15-page manual was emailed to me detailing theory of operation, assembly & alignment procedures, parts list and even antenna considerations for medium frequencies and instructions on how to provide an optional 10 MHz reference signal.

I plan to build the kit this weekend.
.
.

5 comments:

  1. Rudy Severns N6LF has written 2-articles on the antenna subject for these new freqs. Here's link...
    http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/
    http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2017/04/630m-2200m-talk.html
    http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2016/08/160m-2200m-receiving-antenna.html

    73 de WA2ONH Charlie @ SNJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. If/when we get this band I hope to see numerous articles in QST and elsewhere and maybe a few new kits from the usual sources.

      Delete
  2. I've been running on 630M as wg2xiq/1. I use an 80M dipole with a variometer and a home brew transmitter. We did some math, it's about 1W in and a few mW out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I read a bit about your operations here:
      http://njdtechnologies.net/wg2xiq1-heard-by-wg2xjm-in-western-pa/

      Sounds like a fun band with lots of opportunities for experimentation. I'm looking forward to gaining access to it.

      Delete
  3. I finished my kit last night and it works as expected. Driving it with 200mW on 3700kHz from my Ultimate 3S pegged the meter of my WM2 wattmeter on the 10-watt scale - and pegged it with authority.

    I'll use another meter to determine the output with various drive levels and post that info later in the week.

    ReplyDelete